Trump bid to stop vote counting ‘outrageous’ & ‘unprecedented’ – Biden camp
4 Nov, 2020 09:01 / Updated 25 minutes ago
A large outdoor stage awaits U.S. Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden where he will hold his 2020 U.S. presidential election night rally as a drive-in event because of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic social distancing in Wilmington, Delaware, U.S., November 3, 2020. © REUTERS / Mike Segar
Donald Trump’s promise to shut down the presidential vote count was a “naked effort” to strip Americans of their democratic rights, Joe Biden’s campaign manager has said.
“The president’s statement tonight about trying to shut down the counting of duly cast ballots was outrageous, unprecedented, and incorrect,” Biden’s campaign manager Jen O’Malley Dillon said in a statement.
It was outrageous because it is a naked effort to take away the democratic rights of American citizens. It was unprecedented because never before in our history has a president of the United States sought to strip Americans of their voice in a national election.
Earlier on election night, Trump claimed that there were widespread attempts to disenfranchise “millions and millions” of his voters.
“This is a major fraud on our nation. We want the law to be used in a proper manner, so we’ll be going to the US Supreme Court. We want all voting to stop,” Trump said.
Dillon stressed that the vote counting “will not stop,” and will continue “until every duly cast vote is counted.” She said that this is what US law prescribes to do to protect Americans’ right to vote.
Biden’s staffer stated that, if Trump follows up on his threat to go to court to “prevent the proper tabulation of votes, we have legal teams standing by ready to deploy to resist that effort.”