Coronavirus: Global push for inquiry into Covid-19 response
1 hour ago
China says calls for an investigation are a distraction from fighting the coronavirus
Global health leaders are set to push for an independent review of the response to the Covid-19 pandemic at the UN's World Health Assembly.
Monday's virtual meeting brings together envoys from 194 member states of the World Health Organization (WHO).
The WHO will face questions on how it dealt with the coronavirus pandemic.
Chinese President Xi Jinping, who has defended his country's actions during the outbreak, is to speak during Monday's opening ceremony.
China's foreign ministry earlier repeated Beijing's opposition to an investigation into the origin and spread of the virus, saying it was premature while the pandemic was still unfolding.
The two-day assembly - an annual meeting that reviews the work of the UN's health agency - comes amid recriminations between the US and China over the virus.
The US has already stopped its funding for the agency and is promoting its own vaccine programme.
More than 4.5 million people have been infected and more than 300,000 have died since the virus emerged in China in December.
What will the assembly discuss?
The European Union, alongside countries including the UK, Australia and New Zealand, is pushing for an inquiry into how the pandemic has been handled and what lessons can be learned.
EU spokeswoman Virginie Battu-Henriksson said several key questions needed to be answered as part of any review.
"How did this pandemic spread? What is the epidemiology behind it? All this is absolutely crucial for us going forward to avoid another pandemic of this kind," she said.
However, she added that now was not the time for "any sort of blame game".
WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus has faced criticism for the agency's handling of the pandemic
The draft resolution, to be put to a vote on Tuesday, requires a two-thirds majority to pass and already has support from 116 of the 194 member states, according to Reuters.
Last month, an EU report accused China of spreading disinformation about the crisis.
The bloc's External Action Service said Russia, and to a lesser extent China, had "targeted conspiracy narratives" in the EU and neighbouring countries.
What has the WHO said?
WHO spokeswoman Dr Margaret Harris said that the World Health Assembly was "always the time for a lot of scrutiny [of the WHO]."
But, she added, the organisation would remain "laser focused" on working to lead the overall response, and the science and the solutions for this pandemic.
The WHO is supposed to represent the interests of all member states equally but has found itself at the centre of a political battle between China and the US.
President Donald Trump, who faces a re-election battle this year, has sought to deflect criticism of his handling of the outbreak by blaming China and the WHO for failing to stop its spread.
The row culminated last month with the US - the WHO's largest single donor - pulling funding to the agency after President Trump accused it of mismanaging and covering up the spread of the virus in China.
The assembly is also expected to hear calls to give the WHO more powers, which would allow inspectors to go into countries at the start of outbreaks, and carry out independent investigations.
The WHO did send a team of scientists into China in January and February, but it was a joint mission alongside Chinese officials.
What has China's response been?
China has already rejected calls for an independent international investigation into Covid-19.
Last month, senior Chinese diplomat Chen Wen told the BBC that such demands were politically motivated and that an an investigation would only divert attention and resources away from fighting the virus.
The outbreak first emerged in the Chinese city of Wuhan late last year and was widely reported to have originated in a food market.
Media caption"The Chinese Communist Party has refused to co-operate with world health experts" - Mike Pompeo
Since then, however, some senior US politicians have suggested that the source was a research facility in Wuhan that had been carrying out research on bat coronaviruses. China has dismissed the idea.
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said earlier this month that there was "a significant amount of evidence" that the virus came from a laboratory in Wuhan. However, in a TV interview with Breitbart on Saturday he appeared to step back, saying "we know it began in Wuhan, but we don't know from where or from whom".
The draft resolution mentions identifying "the zoonotic source of the virus and the route of introduction to the human population, including the possible role of intermediate hosts".